Search For A Recipe

September 25, 2008

Aval Payasam

After seeing Aval payasam recipe posted by Srikars kitchen, I could not resist myself from trying it out. I made a few modifications according to my taste and imagination and the end result was that I could not have enough of it. Thanks Sripriya for sharing this wonderful recipe.
This is my version of Aval Payasam.

Ingredients:
Aval(Poha)-1/2 cup
Ghee-1tbsp
Cashews-a handful
Almonds-a handful
Milk-1 cup
Evaporated milk-1 cup
Sugar-according to your taste
Cardamom powder-a pinch
Orange color(optional)-a pinch
Saffron-a few strands
Edible camphor-a pinch(optional)
Coconut-1 tbsp

Dry grind almonds and cashews(setting a few aside to roast) to a fine powder.
Heat ghee. Fry some cashews to golden brown. Set aside. In the same pan, fry poha in ghee for a couple of minutes. Add milk. Let it boil(if the mixture is too thick, add some more milk). Add the ground nuts, sugar, evaporated milk, coconut, saffron, orange color, cardamom powder & edible camphor. Simmer for 5 minutes. Garnish with roasted nuts. Tastes best when warm!

13 comments:

  1. I just love Aval payasam. Did you use thick or thin poha? Does it matter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aval payasam looks awesome !! I also want to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mahimaa,
    Lakshmi's comment is apt-AVAL PAYASAM IS AWESOME.
    But what about people having Diabetes?
    Ramkumar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thxs for trying my recipe..hope it came good.Happy to see little bit variation in ur recipe.
    Something is waiting for u in my blog dear..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey neat,like the idea of aval payasam...looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay yay yay! I will be reeling in this award for this weekend. Thanks so much Mahimaa! Appreciate your gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your award Mahimaaa and thanks so much for passing this award on to me...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. never tried this payasam...looks fabulous..congrates on ue awards

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Usha and Suma.

    Appa-Diabetic people can't have it.. they have to control their taste buds! What to do? Otherwise they can use sugar-free sugar instead of regular ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks too good..Delicious dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't developed a taste for aval payasam.. maybe your recipe will change my mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mahimaa,

    Payasam looks very very yummy :)

    Am Anu from My Scrawls. I have posted my version of aval payasam in my blog. Do visit my blog when u get time. Would be happy to receive comment from a veteran blogger :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...