Search For A Recipe

December 17, 2008

Baked Methi Muthiya(Savory Fenugreek Crackers)



Finally I got to bake something(after moving to this apartment) in the oven which does not have any feature except the knob to set the temperature :) It doesn't have these features-timer, light, preheating facility, display screen, clock, sound indicator, touch keypad and so on. It basically has nothing. I really wonder if it is an oven or some storage space. But I dared to bake something today. My husband is out of town and he has taken the car. It's raining cats and dogs! What else can you expect me to do at home? So I went ahead and baked Methi Muthiyas. I took the recipe from Ashwini's blog and modified it a little bit.

Ingredients:
Besan Flour(gram flour)-1/2 cup
Wheat flour-1/2 cup
Salt
Pepper
Red Chilli powder-1/4 tsp
Hing(Asafoetida)-a pinch(optional)
Kasuri Methi(dried Fenugreek leaves)-1/2 tsp
Oil-2 tbsp

Method:
Preheat oven to 350F.
Mix all the ingredients except oil with little water to form a dough. Add oil to the dough and knead well. Divide the dough into small balls and place them on a greased baking pan. Flatten them into thin disks(less than 1/4 inch). Bake for 10 minutes. Take the pan out and turn over the muthiyas. Bake until crisp and golden brown(10 minutes approximately).

25 comments:

  1. Hi Mahimaa..
    these look delicious... reminds me of the thattai that my mom makes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! The oven is finally up! So we can get to see more baked stuff from you now I guess.
    These are great, are they crunchy? When I make similar things... the center tends to be a little soft and the corners very crispy. How did it turn out for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. never heard of this before! must have smelled nice while baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crackers looks great Mahi..hope to see more bakes from ur side...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely crackers. Thanttai mathri erukku. I don't have a oven. Hope i will buy oven soon and try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always thought that the muthiyas were the steamed balls that were added to undhiyu... didn't know they could be made into crackers like these - nice even colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These really look like thattai,perfect crunchy treats for this weather :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look so cruncy and inviting Mahimaa, ideal evening snack with tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really very healthy! I never thought about baking muthiya :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kanna,
    nice you started using the oven.
    Appa
    camp:Mumbai

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW,Lovely.Waiting for more and more baked goodies from you.
    PS: My oven is also a bit like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. He, he! I love your flavors too - besan itself is a favorite and when it mingles with methi - kya kehne! This one is next on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the cookies look awesome, Mahimaa!! being on a sugar-high this holiday season, savory ones are just the ones we all need!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am going crazy now seeing al these treats all over the place:-) they look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a nice recipe from Ashwini isn't it? Need to try these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I heard of it but never baked it looks perfectly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The crackers look awesome Mahi! am waiting for some more of ur baking recipes,now tht ur oven is ready :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Crispy crackers,love the flavor of fenugreek:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. baked muthiyas sounds good..am going to make this soon..

    ReplyDelete
  20. thatz soo yumm .. I have never baked muthiyas ..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Mahimaa,I tried out this y'day..It came out well and we all loved them.Thanks for posting...Check out my blog i have something for you there :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...