Search For A Recipe

December 2, 2009

Baingan Bartha



Baingan bartha is a North Indian dish made by roasting brinjal on direct heat and cooking it's flesh with onions, tomatoes and spices to give a smoky flavor. Give it a try even if you are not a brinjal fan and thank me for the recipe ;)

Serves:2

Ingredients:
Brinjals-2 medium
Onion chopped-1 small
Tomatoes chopped-2 small
Green chilli-1
Ginger chopped-1 tsp
Garlic chopped-2 pods
 Jeera-1 tsp
Oil-1 tbsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Chilli powder-as required
Coriander leaves-to garnish

Method:
Rub oil all over the brinjals. Roast one by one on direct flame  till the skin turns black and brittle. It takes about 15 minutes on medium flame. Turn it regularly so that it cooks evenly. Set aside and cool.
Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera, ginger, garlic, green chilli, onions and fry till onions turn golden brown.
Add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder and tomatoes. Cook till tomatoes turn soft.
Peel the skin of roasted brinjals and add the flesh to the veggies. Mash well with a ladle. Cook for a couple of minutes.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis/pooris

32 comments:

  1. Naan baingan bartha pannina naan matume than saapidanam..unnoda picture paathathum yennaku udane samachi saapidanam'nu thonuthu..Absolutely delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of my favorite baingan preparations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahimaa.. u r a great cook.. love ur baingan bhartha.. have tried it before.. i know its absolutely delicious...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i tried this recently too. a fave now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a favorite dish for any one I think....yummy with roti

    ReplyDelete
  6. ummmm lovely pic,..this one is regular at our home,..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pic looks soo so colorful, not a brinjal fan but will try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a colorful pic, not a fan of brinjal but surely will give a try sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually rub oil and bake in the oven.. Comes out great.. I've seen my friends doing on the flame directly, I want to try that sometime soon..

    Yours Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never tried this....Looks yummy and delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks deliicious..i just love bhartha..long time I made it..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not yet tried this so far,but I AM a brinjal lover,sure I am going to love this...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even I make in a similar way...looks yummy...loved that bowl of veggies used in this curry..

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love Bharta at home! I just coat it with some oil and put it in the oven for about 45 mins to 1 hour :)

    Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious looking Baingan Bartha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Baingan bartha makes me hungry Mahimaa! Its a new kind of recipe and looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this once , it turned too spicy for me.Let me try it out using urs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice recipe my fav one.. long time since i made will try..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great click Mahi! Sounds very simple compared to what my Punjabi friend told me.. I'm going to stick with yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never tried this one..now you have convinced me that I should try ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is in my list of absolute favorites

    ReplyDelete
  22. Baingan barta looks delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Delicious, I just had some... but from a frozen pack :( I love eggplant so much, I will have to give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. thank you for the recipe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...