Search For A Recipe

November 20, 2008

Baghara Baingan



Baghara baingan is a popular dish from Hyderabad. It is a rich gravy of coconut, peanuts and spices cooked along with eggplants.

Ingredients:
Eggplants-1/4 kg(about 7 if you are using baby eggplants. I used 2 Italian eggplants)
Onions chopped-1.5 cups
Tomato-1 medium size(2 if small)
Jeera-1 tsp
Oil-3 tbsp
Salt
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Chilli powder-1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves-to garnish

To grind together:
Cashews-10
Roasted Peanuts-1/4 cup
Garlic cloves-2
Dry Roasted sesame-1 tbsp
Dry Roasted coriander seeds-1 tbsp
Coconut-1/4 cup

Method:
Grind the above ingredients with water to a fine paste and set aside.
Chop eggplants into thin long pieces.
Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera, when it crackles, add onions. Fry till it turns golden brown.
Add eggplants and fry for 5 minutes. Add chopped tomato, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder and fry for another 5 minutes. Now add the ground paste, little water and bring it to a gravy like consistency and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice or rotis.

31 comments:

  1. Kanna,
    looks perfect.It should have tasted yummy too.
    Appa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nalla creamy'a irukku Mahimaa... good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this...yours looks really delicious and authentic..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so creamy and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful and as usual great pics...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to make this, your looks just perfect and yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. my favourite hyderabadi dish. nice one, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this recipe.My friend makes thi too.Nice click.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooper Mahimaa.I've been waiting for a different recipe using brinjals as my husband is not very fond of them.I decided my lunch today :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Creamy deliciousness - what more could one ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks everyone.. lakshmi did u try this today?

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks lovely ... i wanna try this.. love anythng with eggplant

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Egg plant so much, i will try this soon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious mouth-watering gravy! Love eggplant in any form!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mahima, just saw your qn about the veg. stock... you could replace the stock with equal amount of water.. There might be a slight loss of flavour but I don't suppose it will be very significant. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  16. super looks so perfect Mahimaa nice entry

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kanna,
    Your friend has sent "TIPS FOR BETTER LIFE" which gives lot of Good Tips for Healthy Living..Bloggers should read this
    Appa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kanna,
    Your post"Importance of Calcium" under Healthy Living is Simply Superb. A must read topic for all
    Appa

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that the gravy is thick..Peanuts must have given it a different flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of my fav. dishes. But it feels like a lot of work when i cook it. So just wait for my friends to feed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so good. It's one of my favourite dishes though I've never cooked it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another tasty eggplant dish that is tempting me... maybe I need to pick up some eggplants from the store today:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mahima, just chanced upon your site and seem to love not just your recipes, but also all the loving comments ppl have posted, including your "appa":-) just a small query wrt to this dish...can i afford to do away with cashewnuts? will it make a huge loss to the taste? coz we, as a family, singularly abhor cashewnuts:( but love eggplant..i love to make this dish but pls suggest...thanks:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...