Search For A Recipe

December 4, 2008

Pav Bhaji-Simple method yet tasty!



I am sure everyone knows how to make Pav Bhaji. My method is going to be the simplest of all.
I don't make it often as pav buns are very high in calories!(about 100 calories per bun) I was in no mood to chop the veggies today and hence ended up making a very quick bhaji for dinner.
I had been to a friend's place during Navaratri and she prepared the gravy without onions and garlic. It was mild and very tasty. So here is no onion, no garlic Bhaji coming from my kitchen!

Small potatoes(peel the skin before pressure cooking)-3
Beans chopped into big pieces-1/2 cup
Carrot chopped into big pieces-1/4 cup

Other ingredients:
Oil-1 tbsp
Jeera-1 tsp
Salt
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder-1/4 tsp
Pav Bhaji masala-2 tsp(or as per taste)
Coriander leaves- to garnish
Lemon juice from 1 small lemon
Pav buns(sweet dinner rolls)
Butter-to toast the buns

Method:
Pressure cook beans, carrot and potatoes together for 3-4 whistles.
Mash the potatoes and grind beans and carrot to a paste.
Heat oil in a pan, allow jeera to crackle, add the mashed veggies. Add some water and bring it to gravy consistency. Add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, pav bhaji masala and bring it to a boil. Switch off the gas. Garnish with coriander leaves. Squeeze lime and add tiny bits of butter.

Toast pav buns lightly with some butter and serve with bhaji.

If you are using onion, fry it in oil till golden brown along with 1 tsp ginger garlic paste.
Add 1 chopped tomato and a handful of chopped capsicum and fry till tomato turns soft.
Then add the boiled veggies and follow rest of the steps as given above.
Before serving, add finely chopped raw onions on bhaji.
Serve with pav buns and a wedge of lime.

24 comments:

  1. try adding cauliflower to your list of vegetables and you will love me for giving you this tip :) make sure its cooked until soft and mashed in well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its amazing pic mahima...wats there in the background yar.. lovely bhajis and pavs.. tempting me to have a bite...

    He! He! He!... that was me only in the prof pic.., That time I was 10mths old! Ah shocked!.. romba killathe valikkum pappaku....Hm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOw tempting Pav bhaji Mahi...can see this recipe more now..each n every one have their unique method...Professional click ponga..pinnadi background kalakuthu..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kanna,
    Great picture, mouth watering.
    Appa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iam drooling over. Awesome click dear. Simple yet delightful recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious.. I add a small head of Cauliflower too to this.. Tastes great

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought of trying jain version of pavbhaji,but was afraid that it might turn just bland, now this looks so tempting that i just have to try it out !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use Nupur's version these days.. no onions in that as well.. but it has mashed cauliflower and capsicum to lend a bite.. We love it. Yours looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me and my kids love pav Bhaji. I also have in my draft. Yours looks tempting, i always admire your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful picture, just looking to that itself makes one crave for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow..without onion and garlic...YUmmy da....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am guilty of not having ever made pav bhaji... after seeing yours, I feel like giving it a try with whole wheat buns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this.And yes,I agree with Nags,I add cauliflower.I alo avoid onion and garlic.Lovely and healthy and tasty and quick.
    Looks mouthwatering and spicy perfect for me :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy looking Pav bhaji.....u might wanna try whole wheat sandwich buns or dinner rolls to avoid the guilt....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect way to have all the veggie in on dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful picture. I love pav bhaji, becoz its yum! and also becoz its all health in one dish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thts a good recipe Mahimaa without the onions and garlic.Picture looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely presentation Mahimaa! Pav Bhaji plate looks like it's flying in the space! So mouth-watering too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Nags, UJ and Curry leaf for the tip..i used to add cauliflower before.. but not these days as my hubby is allergic to it.

    Thanks friends for your comments!

    Uma, yes, the plate looks like it is flying in the space.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW that was pretty quick bhaji in a pressure cooker,lovely presentation:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely picture Mahi. Never tried without onions and tomatoes. Good will give it a try next time. I also add still more veggies, like cauliflower, peas, capsicum.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks delicious & awesome.. nice entry...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi,

    nice click... I've also posted pav bhaji but it's quite different.Do check when time permits
    happy to follow you.

    Cheers,
    Binitha
    yourstastefully.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...