Search For A Recipe

October 25, 2008

Badam Cake (Almond Fudge)

Wish you and your family a very Happy Diwali!



Diwali is just around the corner and I made Badam Cake(or Halwa) today. After contemplating on various sweets, I decided to make this one because it brings back good memories of my Thalai Diwali(first Diwali after marriage). I have been wanting to try Vahrehvah Chef's recipes since long time. I tried his recipe and was so surprised with the end results. Believe me, it was out of the world! I did not compromise on ghee or sugar this time. Whenever I go to Chennai, my father gets me badam cake from a hotel(I don't remember the name). Those are the best ones I have ever had. My badam cake tasted very much like those and I am happy I can make a badam cake that tastes so authentic!

The above link is for Badam Halwa. I have slightly modified the measurements because I wanted to make a cake(which is the next stage of halwa).

This is going to Srivalli's JFI festival treats-Nov 08.
This is also going to Aparna's Sweet Celebrations event.

Ingredients:
Badam/Almonds-1 and a 1/2 cups
Sugar- 1 and a 1/2 cups
Saffron-a few strands
Milk-1/2 cup
Ghee-1/2 cup ( Apparently badam cake comes out well with even lesser amount of ghee)
Cardamom-a pinch
Orange color-a pinch(optional)

Method:
Soak almonds in hot water for 1 hr and peel the skin.
Grind the peeled almonds with milk and saffron to a fine paste. If the mixie doesn't grind, add some more milk and grind. The paste should be thick.
Heat a nonstick pan on medium flame, add 1 tbsp of ghee, ground paste, cardamom, orange color and sugar. Keep on stirring continuously. Add 1 tbsp of ghee now and then while stirring. Don't stop stirring. Do so until the mixture becomes thick(takes about 30 minutes) and starts to leave the sides of the pan(at this stage, the mixture becomes like a soft dough and does not stick to the pan at all). Don't forget to keep adding ghee little by little while stirring.
Grease a plate with ghee, pour the mixture into it. Cool for 10 minutes and cut into pieces.

39 comments:

  1. Mahimaa, the badam cake looks out of the world! I was waiting for the recipe..Am trying this for sure..Awesome pics..And Happy Diwali to u n ur family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. superb cakes. I love cashew and Badam kathlies. yrs is awesome and inviting.
    Happy Diwlai dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kanna, Badam cake looks AWESOME, DELICIOUS,perfect, OUT OF THE WORLD(aptly said by Ms.Divya Vikram).I am happy it reminded you of the one you had in Chennai.THE PICTURE IS INVITING. WHY NOT YOU SEND IT TO ME FOR THIS DIWALI?
    I KNOW ANUSH LIKES IT VERY MUCH.
    WISH YOU, ANUSH AND ALL YOUR BLOGGER FAMILY A HAPPY AND SAFE DIWALI
    APPA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kanna,
    CONGRATULATIONS ON "YUMMY FOOD" selecting your blog as best blog for this week.Bloggers can view this at:
    http://kitchenflavours.blogspot.com/2008/10/3-rendezvous-with-kitchen-flavours.html

    Appa

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOur bandam cake looks fablous.Wish U and your family Happy Diwali. I am vidhas or u asking about Vibas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Badaam cakes look perfect for Diwali...Nice and inviting.. Wish you a very happy diwali..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this too Mahima but went easy on the ghee.. only added 3-4 spoons so it doesn't have the same texture :) Yours looks so fudgey and yummy. Happy Diwali.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow..Mahimaa....superb yaar....lovely pics also...kalkeeta :)and Convey our wishes to Appa also..It makes us so happy that he blessed us all :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I made Badam burfi too, but my recipe is different.Looks really beautiful Dear.
    Wish you a Tallai Deepavali!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice sweet recpie. Looks so good. Love this a lot. YUM!

    Wish u a happy Diwali!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That piece looks gorgeous..
    Happy diwali!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish you and your family a very happy Deepavali Mahimaa.
    Please convey my wishes to your dad as well.
    Badam burfi looks very tempting

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Mahimaa, Happy Diwali to you and your family...the badam cake looks awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mahimaa wonderful cakes the texure is really perfect and happy diwali to you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  15. WISHING YOU AND YOUR FAMILY A VERY HAPPY & PROSPEROUS DIWALI MAHIMA......

    The BADAM cake looks scrumptious...

    ReplyDelete
  16. First time to this delicious blog....
    Badam Cake looks rich and simply irresistible..
    Wishing u and ur family Happy Diwali..

    ReplyDelete
  17. First time here...fabulous badamcake, looks tempting Mahima..thanks for ur comments on my blog..Happy diwali to u n ur family..

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey even i made badam ladoo's for the diwali.....
    thats a nice cake....
    Happy Diwali!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mahi sooper a iruku Badam cake.enaku konjam parcel anupu da !! Ur diwali email was as sweet as the dish.kalakita for diwali.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thats so lovely..thanks for the entry!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Mahimaa ,thanks a lot for ur wishes and comments....wishing u n ur family a happy deepavali.

    Badam cake is awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wish you a very Happy Diwali! It's time for sweets this time of the year and this badam cake looks absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Mahimaa ,This is a Lovely Almond cake.You have a yummy blog.Moreover, I have a small Deepavali gift for you. Just visit me. congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm drooling on your badam cake! Perfect texture and color.. I need a bite of that right now.. :)

    Happy diwali to you Mahimaa!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wish you Happy Diwali...badam cake looks so gud...wonderful pic...am all ready for the full fat wonder ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Badam Cake seems just perfect for Diwali (and other celebrations. :D)
    While full fat versions don't do much for our waistlines, I have to agree that ther's nothing quite like the real thing.
    Thanks for celebrating with me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Badam Cake looks yummy Mahimaa. Wish you and your family a very Happy Diwali.

    ReplyDelete
  29. looks delicious ... i love that pic .. an indulgence like this once in a while is good

    ReplyDelete
  30. yeh full fat only but ok once in whail looks so divine happy diwali to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mahima badam cake looking nice & perfect in shape.Surprise in my blog for u check my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Mahima,
    This is my first time here. What a lovely place.

    Thanks for sharing the badam halwa. i love it, but never made one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mahi, badam cake looks awesome. superb. surely want to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Healthy and delicious cake..

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi,ur badam cake recipe looks yummy.I tried the same for last year diwali,but all i got was badam halwa not badam cake.If i didnt get that consistency,can i add besan/rice flour to this recipe,if i can when shld i hav to add it.This time v r going to celebrate my sis-in-law's thalai diwali,so wud like to make some special sweet frm my side.Help me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...