Search For A Recipe

November 6, 2008

Semiya Pulihora


If you like tamarind rice, you will also like this. I came across Siri's Vermicilli pulihora recently and bookmarked it. I really enjoyed my dinner today.. Thanks Siri.

My method is slightly different.

Ingredients:
Vermicilli(Semiya)-1.5 cups
Tamarind-small lime size
Water(3 cups approx)
Salt
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Sesame Oil(gingely oil)-1.5 tbsp
Pepper powder-1/4 tsp

To Tamper:
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Jeera-1/2 tsp
Urud dal-1 tsp
Hing-a pinch
Curry leaves-a few
Red chillis-2
Peanuts(unsalted roasted)-1 tsp

Method:
Soak tamarind in warm water. Set aside.
Heat 1/2 tsp of oil in a pan. Roast semiya to golden brown. Remove and set aside.
Heat rest of the oil, tamper with the above ingredients. Extract tamarind water(about 3 cups) and add it to the tampered ingredients. Add salt, turmeric powder,pepper powder and let the tamarind water boil for 10 minutes till the raw smell is gone. Add roasted semiya now and continue heating till it is cooked well.

If you add excess tamarind water, then semiya pulihora might become mushy. So add just the right amount(just like you would add water for regular semiya upma). Don't blame me if you didn't get it right :-)

24 comments:

  1. Paathutamla........
    Very nice mahi..last weekend i made lemon semiya n my hubby luved.Sure he is gonna enjoy if I make this..V.nice one dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea to make this with semiya...Will try for dinner tomo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasty twist to the plain vermicelli I usually make! Really good:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god looks tempting and inviting. Nice presentation also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pulihora with semia good and new combination. We do lemon, coconut and puli sevai. its diff with semia.

    come and pick something for u in my tiny world dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious, i had with rice but never with semiya.
    Would love to have these

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious Semiya Pulihora. The picture it is tempting, Mahi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kanna,
    Pulihora is always good, that too with semiya, it should be too too good.
    Appa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both semiya and puliyodharai so this must be a winning combination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is lovely Mahima. Pulihora looking delicious. I too love this very much n soon m going to post. in UP side it is cooked a bit similer way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. never had semiya pulihora ,looks very tempting

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never had this before. had rice pulihora. something really new!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. MMM INSPIRING COOK VERMICELLI IN TAMARIND WATER IT WILL ADD MORE FLAVOR TOO

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow..nice idea .. looks really delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  15. mahimaa i have seen people saying and trying abt this......but never knew how i tasted..i would love to try this..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this version of semiya...looks delicious...in answer to your question I get my quick cooking barley in the regular grocery here,either in the rice/grains aisle or breakfast aisle, I use the quaker brand of quick cooking barley...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy semiya pulihora...nice work yaa...

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey sooper a iruku semiya pulihora.new recipe for me! sure a try panitu solren.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome, saw this in Siri's blog a few days back, and thot it was very innovative.
    Seems like a quick meal.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love tamarind rice and I love the MTR spice powder.
    This is very nice and interesting Mahima!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a neat idea. Makes me wonder why i never thought of it. I just luv puliyodarai so much. Looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds easy....and I love puliyodharai. Will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mahi... I tried your semiya pulihora.. it was way too good... have suggested this to my Mom and sister as well :)

    ~ Anu.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...