Search For A Recipe

November 12, 2008

Kashmiri Pulao with a South Indian touch

I love Pineapple. I love it so much that you will find it in my fridge anytime. I grab a pineapple every time I go to Costco. They go for 3$ each which is super cheap.

This is Mrs. Chitra Viswanathan's(She posts recipes in http://www.indusladies.com. Her recipes are always a hit and I am a big fan of her)recipe. I feel it has a South Indian touch because the spice powder used here is similar to vangi bath powder. I liked it because the the taste was very mild and not overpowering. Here is how I made Kashmiri Pulao-

Ingredients:
Basmathi Rice-1 cup uncooked
Salt
Onion chopped-1 cup
Peas-a handful
Oil-1 tbsp
Ghee-2 tbsp
Pineapple pieces chopped-1 cup

1. To fry in a drop of oil or ghee and grind:
cloves-4
Jeera-1tsp
Channa dhal-1 tsp
Dhaniya(Coriander seeds)-1 tsp
Red chillis-3

2. To fry in 1/2 tsp of oil and set aside:
Chopped almonds-2 tsp
Cashews-1 tsp
Raisins(I used dark colored ones)-2 tbsp or as you wish
Star anise-1
Cinnamon-1

Method:
Soak basmathi rice in water for 1/2 hour and cook till done and set aside.
In a drop of oil, fry ingredients mentioned under number 1 and grind to a fine powder.
Again, fry the ingredients mentioned under number 2 and set aside.
In remaining oil and ghee, fry chopped onions till golden brown. Add frozen peas and salt and cook for another 2 minutes.
Mix everything together(onions-peas mixture, ground powder, fried nuts and raisins) with rice adding some salt.
Finally add pineapple pieces and serve hot.

Variation:If you don't want to use South Indian spice powder mentioned under number 1, you may omit it. Instead fry green chilli and ginger garlic paste in oil/ghee along with onions- peas mixture and cook rice and saffron together. Rest of the procedure is the same. But I haven't tried it.

I was happy with the way Kashmiri Pulao turned out!




Sending this to Srivalli's Rice mela.

29 comments:

  1. Kanna,
    Kashmiri Pulao looks gorgeous,colourful, mouth watering. what a photography, marvelous.Keep it up.
    Appa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Athukulla cook panni, photo eduthu post panniacha!! That was quick mahimaa..I am inviting myself over to your place tomo for lunch..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Mahimaa. Who is Chitra Viswanathan? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super pulao mahi.i wish i could eat now :-( i shall try this once am done with my toothache.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pineapples too. This looks really good with the raisins, nuts and pineapples peeking out of the rice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kashmiri pulao looks gr8 with all those yummy nuts and spicy spices. The raisins flavours is die for in the pulao. Looks colorful and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kashmiri Pulao looks very tempting. I tried to make it once long back and the rice did not want to co-operate with me that time and it turned out very bad. since then I never ever tried making it again. Now your pictures are mouth-watering and a pineapple is waiting for me in my fridge. So will try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Join in the Sweet Event going in my blog!
    http://srishkitchen.blogspot.com/2008/11/efm-event-for-month-november-with-theme.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great Mahima.. my husband loves Kashmiri Naan so I've been meaning to try the pulao out but never got to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mahimaa, kashmiri pulao looks very inviting,loved the addition of pineapple to it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. THe pulav looks so yummy and colorful. I love the idea of using mild spices rather than the regular pulav. Great picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hearty vegetable pulao is making me hungry:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a good blend of North and south.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just looking to that pice makes me hungry.
    Love that pulao. Looks stunning

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow delicious pulao with wonderful color combo.... tempting dear.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very glorious ur Kashmiri pulao

    ReplyDelete
  17. pulao looks very colorfull mahima

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vow what a co-incidence!!Even i used to follow her recipes....i love her udipi sambar,rasams.....everything she post with the exact measurements they turn real extraordinary....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kashmiri Pulao looks lip smacking....you are right in saying that the masalas are quiet similar to Vangi Bhaath masala.....I am sure it must have tasted really nice...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mahi, this is not fair..just had my dinner, ur pulao makes me hunger again...ippadiya pic ellam pottu kalakurathu...again pasikuthu paarunga...i love chitra visawanathan's recipes too...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mahimaa Kashmiri Pulav looks great they have really turned out well... Btw I waned to let know abt the award that I had for you but you beat me... anyways the award is at http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com/2008/11/in-past-month-my-other-blogger-friends.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow, what a lovely pulao that is! looks so gorgeous and rich and of course yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. hey all, thanks a lot for your comments..appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi ..
    Pulao Looks simply delicious ....Feel like having it nw :)
    love
    veena

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kashmiri pulav looks mouthwatering. Nice recipe Mahimaa.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thats really drool-worthy.... Pls visit YAAT post at my blog. I have something for you...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow...I can tell I will really like this recipe. Maybe I will bookmark it for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That rice really looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...