Search For A Recipe

January 20, 2009

Dum Aloo



Any dish made of potato is always a hit. Isn't it? I have never made dum aloo before. I took the recipe from Nags of cookingandme. I basically used the same ingredients and cooked the gravy for a longer time than she did. It was very yummy.

Ingredients:
Potatoes-3 small(pressure cooked, peeled and cut into big pieces)
Salt
Oil-2 tbsp
Curd/Yogurt-2 tbsp
coriander leaves- to garnish
Kasuri methi(optional)-a pinch(crushed)
Lime juice-from 1/2 lime(optional)

Spice powders(adjust the quantities according to your taste)
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Kitchen king masala-1 and a half tsp
Garam masala powder-1/2 tsp
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Red chilli powder

To grind(without adding water) into a paste:
Onion-1/2 cup
Ginger-1 inch piece
Garlic-2 pods
Green chilli-1

To grind separately into a paste:
Tomatoes-2 medium sized or 3 small

Method:
Heat oil in a pan. Add onion-ginger-garlic paste. Fry for 5 minutes.
Then add tomato paste and spice powders and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil. If the mixture is too thick, add water and bring it to a desired consistency. Simmer and cook until the raw smell is gone. It will take at least 30 minutes approximately.
Add yogurt, potatoes and cook for 5 more minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves, kasuri methi and squeeze lime juice. Serve with rotis.

Note: Add curd in the end and cook no longer than 5 minutes on very low flame to prevent the gravy from curdling.

35 comments:

  1. Wow looks delicious.....am sure its one vegetable which is loved by all:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowo it look so delicious.
    I fully agree anydish with potatoe is delicious.
    But this one looks super yummy delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kanna,
    Well said, Dum Aloo is liked by all ages.Looks yummy
    Appa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, want to taste right away ur aloo Mahi :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey you know whenever i make dum aloo the curd always seperate from water and gravy become very thick..but i do use more curd compare to your recipe in my dish, any suggestions??

    ReplyDelete
  6. ya may be i was cooking for too long after adding the curd..will try again with your recipe..thanks for answering so quick

    ReplyDelete
  7. aaahaa... looks delicious :)
    picture is excellent

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delish!! I will try and make this in the MW, my new experimental gadget use now a days! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dum aloo looks super delicious, if the picture is anything to go by!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always thought this was very difficult to make.And it looks perfect.I love this dish

    ReplyDelete
  11. Send me some Mahi, just love this dum aloo, i tried also long back..dish looks gorgeous..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Potatoes - who can resist those. Well your photo makes it even harder :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey I was thinking making dum aloo was very difficult.Your recipe is so tempting tht I want to give it a try :) Tht picture of dum aloo is soo good Mahi.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! I knew your pic would turn out yummier than mine. Thanks for trying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks delicious. all the recipes that i saw said you need to deep fry the potatos. this is good. i'll try this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. simply delicious..potatoes cant be ignored by any i think...the picture make me drool..

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous plate of dum aloo, Mahima. I love this dish a lot, although I usually make it either with coconut milk or soy yogurt. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow looks sooooooo delicious.....It is my fav mahi:) Pic is amazing....

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks so yumm..nice recipe too..lovely picture..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely looking delicious..My favo one..Wish I could have been dere..

    ReplyDelete
  21. ayyoo... superb pa irukku mahima. send me some. delicious curry.

    ReplyDelete
  22. SUperb recipe...romba naala try pananumnu irukarathu..potato nu solli ye postponing :)and nethi nite i prepared ur tomato sambhar,mrng dosaiku...innum taste kooda panala..romba late a mudichen :(kandippa nalla thaan irukum..will tell u anyways in the mrng..tc

    ReplyDelete
  23. I could grab that away from you LOL. One of the best & handsome looking i have ever eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That first picture is too good.. looks absolutely delicious. I've always seen such creamy dum aloos - this one looks different & spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dum aloo looks awesome Mahimaa...wish I could taste some of that right now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. i have never made dum aloo. looks delicious. very creamy & gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  27. first time at ur blog...loved the aloo dum...potato is soo versatile and loved by everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mahimaa, Dum Aloo looks so appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. A very pretty aloo dish,I must confess I was never was a aloo fan since childhood,but your recipe is tempting me to fall for it:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. check out EFM-Savory sreies round up and join with us in the EFM-Microwave oven series!

    ReplyDelete
  31. thank you very much friends.

    Yasmeen, I can't believe you don't like potatoes. Anyway good to know that there is someone who hates P :))

    ReplyDelete
  32. Simply superb. Got to try this version soon... Thanks for the recipe. :)

    Click here for your award

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks like I over-looked this one! Looks nice and spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Dum aloo looks great. I see some sort of masala (orange colour)sprinkled over the gravy? cud u tell me what is it?

    vaish

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dum Aloo looks very nice and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...